Experienced Representation With Personal Attention

What should you do if you get injured in a car accident?

On Behalf of | Jun 22, 2022 | Personal injury |

If you have a car accident, you may feel bewildered about what to do. If you suffer an injury, you may need immediate medical attention.

You need to take specific steps to protect your rights and ensure you get adequately compensated for any damages.

Contact emergency response

Right after an accident, you should immediately contact 911 to report the incident. The dispatcher will send police and rescue teams to attend to injured parties. You can provide any information about the accident to the police so they can complete a police report. You should have emergency services evaluate your injury and allow them to transport you to the hospital for further treatment if needed.

Get follow-up medical treatment

After your initial treatment for any injury, you need to follow up with any additional treatment interventions as recommended by your physician. This includes seeing any specialists as recommended. You will want to get complete documentation of all the injuries you sustained.

Seek compensation for your damages

Under Iowa law, you have two years from the date of your accident to bring a lawsuit against any persons at fault. You may receive an offer from an insurance company and have some discussions with them about a possible settlement. You can pursue a settlement, but do not let the time pass beyond the statute of limitations for bringing legal action. Settlement discussions can continue after you file a lawsuit.

Sometimes you can only get a full recovery through litigation, so it is essential to pursue all your options.